Friday, October 31, 2003

heh! interesting turn of events

My manager just stopped by for a talk sometime ago (after I had written the last blog entry). He was pretty concerned over /me raising issues of comp off in front of other people, which [he said] could give rise to such demands in the whole team. He mentioned the amount of time I put in office and work (or used to, till last month: Once you get a reputation of staying a lot at work you don't actually have to be there all the time; it carries through ;-) ).

Now the part which threw me off for a loop: he said he is pretty ok with me taking some day off now and then to unwind and "hang out at Lifestyle" (his exact words; Lifestyle is a shopping mall here). He said that particular phrase twice or thrice. So that's what he thinks I enjoy doing: hanging out at Lifestyle!
Caveat: As long as I don't go and blabber about it all over the place. Hmmmm, interesting, to say the least. His concern is that people who put in "8 hours a day" (as if that was a sin!) and go "home at dot 5 pm" don't start demanding comp offs too. I wonder who he meant.

So I get to take some days off now and then, as long I keep my mouth shut. And from what I gather from the conversation I'll have to call in sick. Somehow all this doesn't feel ethical to me. Though I do appreciate his gesture, I'm not sure this is how I want my day off :-/

So this is what management is all about. If I ever show signs of going for an MBA I hereby authorize everyone to knock some sense into me ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home