Monday, February 24, 2003

ack! the data I created on the all night coding marathon had some glaring typos. Like names of non-existent tables! Embarassing :-(

My copies of `Hackers' and 'Snow Crash' arrived today. I had ordered them via fabmart.com in Jan and they finally show up. Man, that made me happy, I'd been wanting to read up Hackers [/. review] for a long time since college; and Snow Crash [/. review] is a very famous SF [Science fiction] novel by Neal Stephenson. (Read it by the next week and then blog my review ;-) ). This book is supposed to be a Cyber Punk novel, much in the tradition of William Gibson's Neuromancer. Snow Crash has got some lovely cover art, and the printing is pretty good too. Look at the cover art at the Amazon page (Where you can also read a sample chapter)

Warming to the topic of SF books I'm looking forward to read stuff by Robert Heinlein (in particular `Stranger in a Strange Land', but the book is too damn expensive in India). There is cool online SF story I read last year (and then also got a dead-tree version), it's called Lobsters. Really liked that one.

Anyway, this [http://idebsikdar.rediffblogs.com] is the blog of a guy I know here. Pretty good and accurate. Deals with up and downs in the life of another software techie guy. One who is also pretty interested in software for its own sake rather than the rewards it brings (like, say, ca$h). Cool :-)

In other news silvermane has been ranting and raving about cricket in wake of the cricket mania gripping the country these days. I'm not too partial to the game myself, sometimes go along with the people in watching it. No fan (or fanatic, as some people are) anyway. Just indifferent. So indifferent that instead of speaking why I don't like it, I'll let silvermane's blog do the talking ;-). One additional point which I would like to make is that to me sports is an intensely personal experience rather than a group activity.

Well,g'night :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home